Coursera week 3
Coursera week 3
This week
begins with a discussion of culture and its relevance when individuals become
mobile, moving between geographical and social contexts. I look at a case study
of a student from the United Kingdom who comes to Johannesburg, South Africa.
The case study help me to think about who owns culture and how different or
similar we are across contexts. Next, I consider Thornton’s arguments about
culture. He argues against the view that there are many cultures and notes that
there is only culture. Thornton considers culture as a resource to which people
have different degrees of access. Some examples of cultural resources are
clothes, money, beliefs, ideas. Individuals draw on these to construct their
identity, but unequal access to these resources that are valued gives some
people more possibilities to construct identities that are dominant and more
valued.
This creates a semblance of difference between
groups of people. As people move across borders, these differences may become
heightened, because some of the cultural resources that an individual carries
with her, may cease to be relevant or may be seen as threatening. So, when
supporting one’s argument about what happens to identity as individuals move
across borders, it is important to delve into culture and how culture creates
differences, how it may accentuate boundaries, and how these may or may not
impact on identity. Writing paragraphs in support of one’s argument requires
close attention to how the paragraphs link with the position, and with other
ideas across the paragraphs.
I was given
an example of a well-written paragraph and analyse its form to see why it is
good. then review paragraphs submitted by the three student writers and note
what is strong and what could be improved in each. I got introduced to the core
aspects of referencing in essays. I also understand why referencing is an
important part of academic writing when we are referring to different people’s
views (or voices) and distinguishing these from our own.
I find it difficult
to: - Analyze arguments about cultural differences
-
Recognize
the components and function of a paragraph of an academic essay
-
Use
quotes from authors, and reference them correctly
-
Write
paraphrases of authors’ views and reference them correctly
-
Discover
how to make your essay coherent and cohesive
Accentuate
is a new vocab for me


Komentar
Posting Komentar